Saturday, September 1, 2007

I talk to strangers…


All the time.

And I like it that way.

But what did momma used to say?

“Don’t talk to strangers”

And for good reasons too, there are some really sick people out there.




It works on children because they are relatively innocent and inherently trusting.

But assuming that if you are reading this, you are already college-matured…or at least aspire to be.

So is that maxim still beneficial?

The majority of people (especially those who live in sprawling metropolis) still has this belief ingrained within. Walk down any street and you’ll discover people

with glasses so big they look like bugs

or

Proud ipod groupies

or



Mr. I can text so fast you won't even know what hit you.

Are you one of them?

And you wonder why you are lonely

You've seen them. They'll fiddle with their Treos every two minutes while rocking their Ipods with eyes downcast; creating this invisible shield around them. They panic when you so much as to smile at them, hoping you'll just pass them by because...

Oh, momma told them not to talk to strangers.

The average Joe live in solitude. Don't believe me? Go on craigslist personals section and search up the word


"lonely".

The average American wake up, eat, work, sleep. Repeat. Maybe the occasional restaurant scene on the weekend. They cling to their families and cliques like drowned rats to a wooden plank and refuses to venture out. And yet at the same time they long for that spark of spontaneity, that rare encounter.

Everyone from the busy Strada bar girl to the hot shot investment banker to the content janitor are really living in this endless cycle.





Are you sick of it? Living in the same predictable, routine life. Talking to the same people, doing the same thing everyday, having the same old banter. That is why divorce rates in America is so high, people want a spark of life, something unpredictable.

So talk to people.

(but use your brain, if you are walking on Telegraph Ave 3am in the morning and a gang hoods is coming your way.... RUN)

Talk to people?



Why should I? They'll think I am off my rocker! No one talks to strangers!

Precisely, no one talks to strangers, but everyone wants a little bit of human touch. Why do you think people spends hundreds in massage parlors when pilates does the same thing? Its a little bit of human touch.


But most people want to be left alone!

Do you want to be left alone? If you are happy with your current crop of friends then by all means do so. If you are content, you are one of the lucky few.

But I know that many of you out there are just dying for a little human touch, but the idea that you have to approach a complete stranger decked out in

This

absolutely terrifies you.

So how do you start? There is no one around!

Really?

Where do you go get your morning dose of caffeine? The paper boy? The grocery clerk? The awkward intern at your office? (Hire me! Raises hand) The person suffering next to you in a crowded Bart station? The neighbor that you have never talked to?

Now when you start, thread lightly. Remember that while you've overcome your barriers, the other person still has hers up in full force. Start out with something light:

"It is sweltering in here!"
"How long have you been waiting for the Bart?"
"What do you recommend? Americano or Lemonade?"
"You come here often?"
"Cal is so going to cream Tennessee"
"Orange, what an unfortunate color"



And see that person's face light up because for the love of everything holy you are the first person to acknowledge their existence today.

Even if he/she doesn't speak to you for the rest of your stay, that smile is worth it.

Well, for me at least, it is.

*I try to live my own advice, thus you'll probably find me either 1) studying or at gym 2) at school clubs or 3) chatting with random people. This blog is for my own reflections and realizations. Although I can give your average geek a run for his money in terms of computer knowledge, I love people more.
*Stay tuned, I'll still update regularly! But please understand that this blog is not my life, but a mere vestige of it. Comments make my day :)

K, CAL GAME IS NEXT!

Have a wonderful day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sweet.. a fellow 'kicker'... OH! and I have a friend/co-worker who is pretty good at golf (and a former cal student! hey!) if you still want some lessons.

ok, read your "i talk to strangers" post, you said this blog this is not your life, understood. but would you want it to be? ie: having an advice column in the news paper, or (going real big here)being the next oprah! I don’t know... You have a very attractive mind, and sharing it seems to be a passion of yours. Anywho, best of luck to you, on whatever you choose to do... ^_^

ps: if you feel like talkin', what is it that you want to do? aha! maybe that should be the topic of your next post! no thanks need... =]

Anonymous said...

*ehem* needed... excuse the typo...

Joanna (Yin) Lin said...

Actually, trying to post that exact same today for ages now. But never quite get around it.

The words didn't form the way I wanted to. But yes, that'll probably be my next topic.

Well. My Major. Why is that my Major and what I want to achieve with it.

Check back, I'll post it after I finish this 300 page reading.